Alberta Organ & Tissue Donation
Save a Life… or 8!
1 organ donor can save 8 lives & 1 tissue donor can enhance the lives of 75!
What you need to know:
· The first priority of healthcare professionals is to save lives. Your choice to be a donor does not affect the quality of life-saving medical care you receive.
· Everyone has the potential to be an organ and/or tissue donor, though you must be at least 18 to register your consent to donate.
· There will never be any cost to your family or estate if you donate organs or tissue.
· Organ and tissue recovery will only happen after every effort has been made to save your life.
· Organ and tissue donation should not affect preferred funeral arrangements.
· More than 4,500 Canadians including more than 500 Albertans, are on the wait list for an organ transplant.
· It is important to share your organ donation wisher with your loved ones.
· Consent to be a donor may be changed or withdrawn at any time.
When you sign up to be an organ or tissue donor at our registry at the time of making any change including renewing your driver’s license, a little heart icon is added to your drivers license and you are added to the registry database that captures your donation choices, which will then be accessible to donation professionals.